When I think of waste in theater, I think immediately of all the paperwork we produce.
However, I recently came across this link for, of all things, pantyhose recycling . . .
The people who make No Nonsense pantyhose have started recycling old hose into park benches. (Click on the image to go to their site.)
And I realized there is an entire group of things that are required for a show, that are tossed at the end of a run.
Of course some people prefer to use dance tights for actresses for the very reason that you go through so many during the course of a run. I think they often look like tights, rather than hose, but maybe that’s just me.
So now that we have a way to recycle women’s pantyhose, how about men’s socks and undershirts? I’m thinking there are only so many sock puppets you can make….
1 Comment to Greening Theatre With Foundation Garments
Leave a comment
Search the archives
- Long silence, new project!
- Costume Renderings: Mistakes, Mishaps, Failures, and Flubs – Part 3
- Costume Renderings: Mistakes, Mishaps, Failures and Flubs – Part 2
- Costume Renderings: Mistakes, Mishaps, Failures and Flubs – Part 1
- Jessica interviews Jessica
- Greening Theatre With Foundation Garments
- The allure of costume design … and a reality check
- Sources of Inspiration
- Designer . . . Actor . . . Director
- How you can turn any school subject into a costume focused study